Everyone knows that writers like words. This writer loves ’em. I’ve always been a big fan of reading quotes and song lyrics as they provide great inspiration and they’re often times entertaining.
When I posted on our Facebook wall and asked our fans to share their favorite beer related quotes and lyrics for a chance to win this Guinness sign, I didn’t really expect too many people to participate but I was wrong. We had a great response, including a lot of the classics and also some that we’d never heard before. Here’s a slightly edited list for your reading pleasure:
- “When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.” – Henry Youngman
- “Malt does more than Milton can, to justify God’s ways to man.” – A.E. Housman
- “Beer – Because one doesn’t solve the world’s problems over white wine.”
- “Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.” – Kaiser Welhelm
- “You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.” – The Book of Zappa
- “Beer! Helping ugly people to have sex for over a quarter century” – Anonymous (Is it really just a quarter of a century? I feel like it must be longer.)
- “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy” – Benjamin Franklin
- “Have a brew…don’t cost nothing” – Bluto Blutarski
- “I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. They wake up in the morning and that’s the best they’re going to feel all day.” – Frank Sinatra
- “Now it’s closing time, the music’s fading out
Last call for drinks, I’ll have another stout.” – Tom Waits
- “You Can’t Drink All Day If You Don’t Start in the Morning” – Celia Rivenbark
- “Do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “For every wound, a balm.
For every sorrow, cheer.
For every storm, a calm.
For every thirst, a beer.”
- “Beer is not just for breakfast, anymore.”
- “‘You are drunk Sir Winston, you are disgustingly drunk.’ Yes, Mrs. Braddock, I am drunk. But you, Mrs. Braddock are ugly, and disgustingly fat. But, tomorrow morning, I, Winston Churchill will be sober.” – Winston Churchill (*Winner*)
- “And if you’re drinkin’ well
You know that you’re my friend
And I say, I think I’ll have myself a beer” – Reel Big Fish
- “A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it’s better to be thoroughly sure.” – Czech Proverb (*Winner*)
- “Drinking beer doesn’t make you fat, it makes you lean… against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.” – Anonymous
- “Well, I woke up this morning, and I got myself a beer. The future is uncertain, and the end is always near.” – Jim Morrison
- “Gonna get high, man I’m gonna get loose, need me a triple shot of that juice. Gonna get drunk, don’t you have no fear. I want one bourbon, one scotch and one beer.” – George Thorogood
- “I’m not as think as you drunk I am!”
- “You are, therefore I drink.”
Let’s not forget those wise words from Homer Simpson:
- “When I was 17, I drank a very good beer, a very good beer I bought with my fake ID, My name was Brian McGee, I stayed up listening to Queen, When I was 17”
- “All right, brain, I don’t like you and you don’t like me – so let’s just do this and I’ll get back to killing you with beer.”
- “To Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life’s problems.”
We’re not going to lie, as pleased as we were with the results, we were a little disappointed that no one submitted this Jack Handey quote: “Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, ‘It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.'”
Thanks to all who entered and congrats to Clare Deutsch of Toronto, Ontario Canada and Danielle Rivers of Wesley Chapel, Florida for winning. If there is anything we missed, don’t hesitate to leave a comment here. Cheers!
[techtags:BEER QUOTES, BEER LYRICS, BEER QUOTE WINNERS]