A Public Service Announcement from KegWorks: NEVER DO THIS

I don’t know what would possess someone to put a keg in a fire, but it is not a good idea. A 15-year-old Sellersville boy was injured Monday afternoon when a beer keg placed into a fire exploded, officials said. The boy, who suffered a cut to his head, was taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital by helicopter. Sellersville Volunteer Fire Department Chief John Lindsay said the unidentified boy probably was hit by flying metal. The incident happened about 4:15 p.m. when several youngsters gathered behind some homes on Main Street near Longwood Avenue, Lindsay said. Remember folks, kegs contain liquid and/or gas under pressure and can be dangerous when modified or improperly handled…or superheated in a fire. We implore all our wonderful customers out there to return their kegs in prompt manner to the brewery or beer distributor from which they were purchased. It is usually in your best interest as well, since most states require a hefty keg deposit that you get back when the keg is returned in good order. My guess is these kids could have got $30 or $40 deposit back rather than a helicopter ride to the hospital. Also, damaging and repurposing kegs just makes beer more expensive for everyone when breweries are forced to increase the price of their beer to cover the costs of replacing lost kegs. [techtags:KEG FIRE, KEG DEPOSIT, LOST BEER KEGS]

4 Comments

  • Deron May 21, 2009 @ 12:09pm

    Pete – here’s a related story to support you post, this one resulted in more bloodshed. I only remember it because I almost didn’t believe it when I read it.

    Posted: Monday, 23 October 2006 7:28AM

    Beer Keg Explosion Leaves Man Dead in Connecticut

    NEW MILFORD, CT (AP) — Police were trying to determine who tossed a beer keg into an open fire at an outdoor party early Sunday, causing an explosion that sent shards of shrapnel slicing through a crowd of partygoers, killing one.

    The explosion, which could be heard miles away, killed Sean M. Caselli, 22, of New Milford. Police say seven other people were taken to New Milford and Danbury hospitals.

    Caselli, who lived with his family about a mile away from where the party was being held, died after being struck by a piece of flying metal in the neck, police said.

    Sgt. Lee Grabner said investigators focused on taking measurements and gathering evidence. Interviews with witnesses to determine who threw the keg in the fire, and whether criminal charges would be filed, “is something we’re going to start working on,” Grabner said.

    Witnesses told police they saw someone put what appeared to be a quarter-keg of beer into one of the burning barrels just after 3 a.m.

    Seven people suffered non-life-threatening injuries, including burns and shrapnel wounds, police said.

    Over 50 people attended the party, which was an annual event, neighbors said.

    “This is a certain tragedy,” said Police Chief Colin McCormack. “However, nothing I have been apprised of to this point in this investigation, which I caution is at the very early states, indicates a deliberate act on anyone’s part.

    Robert Greco, who lives in the area, went to the scene after hearing the explosion.

    “It was an unbelievable explosion,” Greco told the News-Times of Danbury. “It rattled the street.”

  • Ed May 21, 2009 @ 12:26pm

    He’s lucky to walk away with his head still attached. Period.

  • Pete May 21, 2009 @ 12:50pm

    Deron – Saw that article while searching Google for related stories or possible inspirations for such idiotic behavior. Guess I was wondering if this is something the “kids” are doing today. Unfortunately, I found several videos posted on YouTube showing showing people putting kegs in fires. Just because you see it on YouTube doesn’t mean you should try it. Take it from me, someone who did a lot of foolish and dangerous things when he was teenager involving fire: DO NOT PUT A KEG IN FIRE.

  • Ed May 21, 2009 @ 1:00pm

    I’m betting the kid learned his lesson – albeit the hard way – and I’m (honestly) happy he (and his friends) survived… My inner cynic, however, won’t shut up about nominating [them] for The Darwin Awards. Honestly, I mean, this is why the rest of us have to see warnings on plastic bags and coffee cups…

    So much for common sense…

Leave a Reply

Your name is required.
Comment field is required.