If you’re anything like us, pregaming is a St. Patrick’s Day ritual. Before heading out to the bars or parade route, we suggest throwing back a couple Irish Coffee jello shots for a little pick-me-up between pints of Guinness and swigs of Jameson.
Irish Coffee Jello Shots
Yield: about 12 shots
3/4 cup coffee
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup Irish whiskey
1 cup heavy cream
3 packets Knox gelatin
Fresh nutmeg, for garnish (optional)
2-ounce jello shot cups
- Make brown sugar simple syrup: Combine 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. (This will make more than you need. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for another use.)
- Make coffee layer: Combine 1/4 cup brown sugar simple syrup with coffee in a medium saucepan. Sprinkle 2 packets of gelatin over the surface and let it sit. After 1-2 minutes, stir to combine over a low flame until the gelatin dissolves, about 3-5 minutes. Do not boil. Remove from heat and add whiskey. Stir to combine.
- Fill 2-ounce jello shot cups 2/3 of the way full with coffee mixture and place in refrigerator to set, about one hour.
- Once set, make cream layer: add 1/2 cup heavy cream to a small saucepan and sprinkle with remaining gelatin packet. Let rest 1-2 minutes. Stir and heat over a low flame until gelatin dissolves, 3-5 minutes. Do not boil. Remove from heat and add remaining milk. Stir to combine.
- Remove coffee gelatin from the refrigerator and top each cup with a layer of the cream-gelatin mixture. Return to the refrigerator to fully set, about 2-3 hours.
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg and serve immediately.